Sunday 17 January 2016

Indie Girls taking it back to the 90's


Every so often you sit there listening to BBC Six Music whilst you’re getting on with the rest of life and you will hear something new and think, “yup, I like that”. For me it happened recently with Bruising. I heard it and whilst I didn’t think wow this is something amazing I did smile to myself and think, I really like this, it reminds me of a lot of stuff from the late ‘80’s and early ‘90’s.

With the jangly guitars and distinctive female vocals I guess the two bands from that period Bruising most remind me of are Bleach and Sleeper. So there sound isn’t new, but how much is these days? What they are doing well is recapturing the sound of the previous generation.

Another new indie group I’m enjoying listening to is Spanish indie girl group Hinds who play the Hare and Hounds on 23rdFebruary. This gig is one they’re doing supporting the release of their new album Leave Me Alone which is out now. Hinds are a bit less jangly and bit more hippy trippy in places but they’re still fun to listen to. I think this interview and live set on Seattle based radio station KEXP via YouTube is good in showcasing their talent and giving some more info about them.

So that’s two recommendations for you this week both bands I think are worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment